Back in the day
Weston Zoyland is one of the oldest airbases in the UK, dating back to it’s opening in 1920. Initially used as a base for summer camps, the RAF began to use the airfield as a landing ground in 1925.
During the Second World War, the airfield was expanded in order to help with the war effort. Concrete runways and a track surrounding the perimeter of the airfield were constructed, making RAF Weston Zoyland capable of use by heavy bombers and transport aircraft. The construction of three converging runways at 60 degree angles to form a triangular shape became known as a Class A airfield. The longest edge of this triangle ideally heading South-West to North-East to aid aircraft landing and taking off into prevailing winds. The longest runway at Weston Zoyland, 11/29, would have been 5,775 ft (1,760 m) in length.
Weston Zoyland was used as a base by several squadrons during the war and housed a multitude of aircraft including Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mosquitos and Gloster Jets. After the Second World War, Weston Zoyland was decommissioned in 1947, but reopened as a training site for Meteor jet pilots in 1952. This was to support demand after the outbreak of the Korean War.
Westonzoyland is now used as an airfield for General Aviation and Microlight aircraft. There are traces of the original site still present with derelict buildings such as the Control Tower still visible from the airfield. Half of the original 16/34 (now heading 15/33) concrete runway is still active as a taxiway and parking for aircraft and the newer Middlezoy aerodrome is located near to the original airfield.